Tuesday, December 9, 2008
It is officially Christmas time! My husband and I put up our tree, I just love how beautiful it looks. I look forward to this time of the year just for the tree. All the lights twinkling and the ornaments that we have collected since we were babies. It just sparkles with Christmas delight. There is nothing better to do when in the Christmas spirit than to bake cookies. I decided to make many different kinds but my favorite this year were "Chocolate crackle tops" the recipe follows.
"Chocolate crackle tops "
7oz semisweet chocolate chopped (or chips)
1/2 cup unsalted sweet butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar for coating
1. In a pan set over a low heat, melt the chocolate and butter together until smooth, stirring frequently
2. Remover the pan from the heat, stir in the sugar, and continue stirring for 2-3 minutes until the sugar dissolves. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla essence.
3. Sift the flour and cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Gradually stir into the chocolate mixture in batches until blended.
4. cover dough, chill for at least 1 hour, untill the dough is cold and is able to hold its shape.
5. Preheat the over to 325. Grease two or more large baking sheets.
6. Place the confectioners' sugar in a bowl. using a small ice cream scoop or a table spoon. scoop out the cold dough and roll it into a ball between your hands.
7. drop in the confectioners' sugar and roll to coat. tap off excess sugar using a slotted spoon. place on cookie sheet about 1 inch appart.
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the tops feel slightly firm when touched. let cookies sit on cookie sheet for 2-3 mins to cool, then remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.